Friday 22 May 2015

If tables could talk


Sometimes, you see something in a shop and you know instantly that it's meant for you. This used to happen to me with dresses, but these days it happens mostly with furniture. Which is a shame because our house is already full of furniture. So these days when it happens, and I spot something that I love and know would look ace in our house, as well as being useful, I have a little internal monologue that goes something like:

Me: "Oh this is so gorgeous, I'm just going to get it"
Sensible me: "And put it where though?"
Me: "I dunno, I'm sure there's a perfect spot for it, but in the meantime I just couldn't possibly leave this gem here in the shop, so like I said previously, I'm just going to get it"
Sensible me: "Stop being a dick. Gaaaad."

Quite often you can replace Sensible Me with Alex in this conversation, as he's usually the voice of reason in these types of scenarios.

SO ANYWAY, back to this weekend - I spotted this little gem in a tiny shop that I'd never noticed before. It was right by the door and caught my eye straight away because it was right up my street. I went in to have a look and the shop keeper told me that it was hers, but she was reluctantly selling lots of her furniture because she's emigrating to Australia next month. She also told me that this little side table had the most amazing back-story - it was designed and made by a prisoner on the Island (we have several prisons here because being surrounded by water on all sides makes it more difficult to escape. Except that means that when a prisoner does escape, which ACTUALLY HAPPENED when I was about nine years old, it makes it very likely that he stays on the island, prowling around and hiding in people's sheds, etc. Which means everyone is too scared to go in their shed, or even garden, until they're found. TERRIFYING.)

SO ANYWAY, back to the prisoner - he made the table by hand as a wedding present for his warden, to say thank-you for turning his life around. The lady in the shop had bought it from the warden's daughter in a garden sale when he went into a home. It's really beautifully made, so much time and craft has gone into it.

So it's a beautiful thing, with an amazing story, and a price tag that frankly would have been quadrupled if we were in London.


So basically, I fell in love with it, but thought Alex would out his sensible hat on and remind me (not incorrectly) that we don't need any more furniture. So imagine my joy when I showed him and he loved it too! We bought it then and there and took it home on the back seat of the car. I'm just so chuffed with it. So far, we've tried it in the front room, just by the front door when you get in, and by the dining room table for storing the table mats etc. Neither feels quite right, but it does look good wherever we put it. So even though it currently has nothing in it, and no long-term home, it's definitely a keeper and I know we have the perfect spot for it somewhere, we just need to find it.


ps. Sorry for all the caps lock, this kind of thing makes me over-excited




Home Etc

12 comments:

  1. what a great story and such a beautiful table - sometimes you see things that you just HAVE to have. Well done for finding it and to Alex and your sensible voice for allowing it too :) I have a similar dialogue with MOH and myself but I think that's normal :) #HomeEtc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe - I'm glad to hear other people have the same conversations! So glad sensible voice and Alex both agreed in this instance :) xx

      Delete
  2. What a great find, and love that you know the story behind it! I often wonder about the history of some of the pieces I buy. I agree, it will look lovely wherever it ends up living :) Tracy x #HomeEtc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know, I wonder how many amazing stories have been lost along the way? xx

      Delete
  3. You couldn't leave this behind, it's too gorgeous! Love the idea of moving it around the place too to see where it goes best X #HomeEtc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have a feeling this will 'float' around a bit until we find the perfect spot, it keeps things interesting to move them around a bit too. Thanks for reading! xx

      Delete
  4. Love this - such a beautiful find, and I love the back story! The stories behind the objects are always the most fascinating thing when buying second hand or antique, and sometimes it is fun to imagine stories for them too if you don't know anything about them :) #homeetc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of that - I am now imagining all kinds of back stories for other bits and pieces in the house! xx

      Delete
  5. How fascinating to know its history - and it looks amazing! #HomeEtc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Amazing how knowing the story can make you love something even more xx

      Delete
  6. Yep — am TOTALLY with you!! Caps locked and all!! :) What a beautiful piece — I wouldn't have been able to leave it in the shop either, that's for sure :) Thanks so much for linking up with #HomeEtc — hope to see you again tomorrow! x

    Caro | www.thetwinklediaries.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely piece of furniture and so nice to know where it came from! Thanks so much for sharing and linking up with #HomeEtc

    Jess xxx

    ReplyDelete