Friday 1 August 2014

Friday I'm in love... with the prospect of reading a good book


What's better than a good book? Having some spare time to actually get round to reading one, that's what. I haven't read a book for over a year, and I need to do something about it soon. When the day comes that I don't fall asleep instantly on sight of my pillow, this is my growing stack of reads to get through:

one. Love Caitlin Moran, love her writing, already know I'm going to love this. If you haven't read How to be a Woman yet then I suggest you do so right away. You won't be disappointed.

two. This was a Christmas present that I was so happy to receive but have never had time to read. I suspect it may provide just as many laughs as How To Build A Girl, but for very different reasons. I'm almost a bit scared to read this in case it makes me fall out of love with Morrissey.

three. Wasn't aware of this one until my mum recommended it to me. Apparently she spent many an evening laughing her way through this book and that's enough of a recommendation for me.

four. Not a newie but such a goodie. When we had to pack all our wordly belongings into my mum's shed for nearly a year so we could move to the country and stay with her before finding our own place, I threw away three bookcases worth of books in a bid to downsize. The only novels I kept where by Sue Townsend. As well as this I have every Adrian Mole book ever written, each one all dog-eared and missing covers and pages because they've been read over and over again. Hearing that she'd died earlier this year was one of those rare times when a celebrity death actually makes you feel something - because her books were such a big part of my teenage years. When I heard the news it made me want to read them all over again, and I plan to, starting with this.

So I have the reads, and I have the inclination - now just to find the time! If I can get through one of these this Summer, I'll be so happy. Resolution made.

No comments:

Post a Comment